The cycle spans the internet for intelligent, well-thought out articles which either help your fantasy team or will give you some better incite on your favorite team. If you feel we should add your link, feel free to contact us at contact at dailyfaceoff dot com or on twitter @dailyfaceoff.
- One of the more intriguing players this season, for me at least, has been Andrej Sekera– who for the most part partners with Tyler Myers. His unique combination of size and skill make him a potential threat, similar to his partner. Nick Mendola goes over how the rest of Sabres’ fans view their European defenseman.
- The infamous Justin of The Goalie Guild breaks down the spin-o-rama and shows how Marty Turco managed to put a paddle down.
- On a less serious note, as the All Star Game approaches we all prepare for the first ever (non NHL 11) ‘Fantasy Draft’. Down Goes Brown becomes a resident expert for the dais event, offering tips on how to dominate.
- Robert Vollman of Puck Prospectus believes that wins are a lousy way of judging a goaltender’s value to their team leading him to measure the quality starts of a starting goalie. Personally I view goaltenders in hockey to be similar to relief pitchers in baseball, with a guy like Steve Mason closer to the rule than the exception. Top netminders like Craig Anderson, Miikka Kiprusoff and Martin Brodeur all failed to justify their ADP.
- Similarly, Katie Carrera of The Washington Post looks at how other teams break up their goaltending tandems.
- Who will go first overall in Minnesota? My vote stays in the corner of QMJHL forward Sean Couturier, who was the only draft eligible Canadian to make the WJHC squad. Here is a nice little piece on where this future star comes from and the support he has from his hometown.
- Gabe of Behind the Net takes a deeper look into Alexander Ovechkin’s shooting.
- We know Brian Boucher and Sergei Bobrovsky currently hold down the crease in Philadelphia but where exactly did last year’s playoff hero Michael Leighton go? He currently plays for the Adirondack Phantoms of the AHL and is handling his demotion with class. Stephen Whyno of Philadelphia Sports Daily put together a nice feature on the veteran.
- On a similar note, slumping veteran JP Dumont recently broke out of a season-long funk with five goals in two games. Tyler Davis of NHL Hot Stove has all the details.
- While we stay on the Preds’, Pekka Rinne worked his way into the top two in both GAA and SV%. Nobody would be better to explain this fact than Dirk Hoag of On the Forecheck, who believes Pekka now should be nominated for the Vezina Trophy.
Before commenting, check out these wonderful words from Jeff Pearlman at CNN.
We hope you enjoyed reading our choice of topics this week. Keep in mind this segment is still somewhat under construction and more than willing to take constructive criticism. If you feel we omitted some interesting pieces, feel free to reach out to us!