Are you neck-and-neck or lagging in your fantasy playoff matchup this week? You may not know about the handy fantasy tool to help you plan your add / drops around a team’s remaining games played for the week.
To help maximize your matchups this week, you’ll want to drop players from teams that only have one or two games remaining this week in favour of an equal player with 3 games left – assuming your league’s add / drops take one day to take effect (and you are reading this on Wednesday). There are a surprising number of teams that qualify with just one game played from April 11 – 14 and any fringe fantasy players should be dropped if you feel it can help you get ahead in your matchups.
Teams with one game remaining where you might consider dropping lesser-quality talent:
- Anaheim Ducks
- Edmonton Oilers
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Rangers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Winnipeg Jets
Teams with three games from Thurs – Sun:
- Nathan Gerbe and Steve Ott are seeing extended time with Cody Hodgson.
- Tyler Myers or Christian Ehrhoff may have been dropped in your league and still eat the most minutes and man the Sabres’ powerplay.
Detroit Red Wings:
- Gustav Nyquist is playing on the second line and has 3 assists in his last 4 games. His spot looks to be secure with Filppula and Brunner practicing on the third line.
- Justin Abdelkader has been playing on the top line but hasn’t capitalized on the opportunity, yet. If you like to gamble, take a flier on him.
- Damien Brunner and Valterri Filppula – although relegated to the third line – should still see ample powerplay time.
St. Louis Blues:
- Patrik Berglund has been a goal scoring machine but has produced few assists, which is why he is a mere 26% owned in Yahoo! leagues. If you are lagging in goals, target him.
- Alex Steen is seeing time on the top line and powerplay. Steen is known for hot flashes and has 3 points in the Blues’ 4 April games so far.
- The recently acquired Jordan Leopold is skating on the second powerplay unit but still hasn’t registered a point in 4 games with his new team.
Tampa Bay Lightning:
- Alex Killorn is flying under the radar as the LW on the Lecavalier-Purcell line and has contributed 5 points in his last 5 games.
- Getting ample opportunity but not producing at as high a rate is Benoit Pouliot who has 3 points in his last 3 games on the Bolts’ top line.
- Sami Salo’s shot is still manning the point on the powerplay but he isn’t producing at a rapid rate right now. Still may be helpful if you need a D-man.
- Unlike Salo, Matt Carle has been on fire of late with 7 points in his current 5 game point streak. If he is available, scoop him up.
View the Weekly Team Preview tool to help you plan your matchups each week.
Latest posts by Matt Bennett (see all)
- The Fantasy Minute – Week of November 13th - November 13, 2014
- Play Free Fantasy Hockey – Saturday, November 16 - November 16, 2013
- Hall, Briere and Visnovsky all leave Saturday action - October 20, 2013