Hello all! Today I want to talk to you about Alex Goligoski (or GoGo as he is affectionately called by teammates and fans alike) and why you need to pick him up in your fantasy hockey league whether it is a rotisserie or head to head league. If you are not a Penguins fan you may not even know who Goligoski is but make no mistake; he is quietly becoming one of the best defenseman in the league, both offensively and defensively. Here are the top five reasons you need GoGo on your team.
- Through twenty games Goligoski has recorded six goals and eight assists, tieing him for 16th in NHL D-man scoring.
- He gets plenty of powerplay duty on the first line. Its hard not to record points on the power play when you have the likes of Crosby, Malkin, and Gonchar on your powerplay. He has five PP points so far.
- He is a +11 on the year and was at one time leading all defenseman in that category. He will also pick up some penalty minutes sporting 6 PIMS total for the season.
- Has shown he has “slippery shoulders” or the knack for not taking any big hits which means you can rely on him being healthy most of the time.
- And last but not least, he plays for a cup contending Penguins team who utilize the point shot, something that Goligoski excels at.
And there you have it, the five reasons you need Alex Goligoski on your team. At this time I would not count on him being your top defenseman but I believe he is an above average second option and a great third option in all leagues. I of course strongly recommend him in any keeper league being that he is only twenty-four and learning under one of the greatest point man of our time in Sergei Gonchar.
At a 70% owned rate (in Yahoo leagues) GoGo may not be on your league’s free agent list but this may be a good time to try and trade for him since he has been injured awhile.