According to Tom Gulitti, New Jersey Devils second leading scorer Ilya Kovalchuk will be out for the next 2-4 weeks with a shoulder injury.
Kovalchuk results from his x-ray were negative, he also will not need surgery on the shoulder. The Devils did not specify what the injury was, they only said it was his shoulder. He will have an MRI done this afternoon.
Kovalchuk suffered the injury in yesterday’s game vs. the Florida Panthers. He lost an edge and slid hard into the end-boards behind the Panthers net. He was able to skate off under his own power, but he was visibly in pain. Kovalchuk went directly to the New Jersey locker room and did not return.
He has 10 goals, 17 assists and a minus-2 in 32 games this season. With their best winger out of the lineup the Devils have recalled Harri Pesonen from Albany.
The Fantasy Hockey regular season is nearing its end, so this is a tough player to lose right before the playoffs. What makes Kovalchuk so valuable is his dual-eligibility at both left and right wing. Here are some players that should be Free Agents that could help you deal with the Kovalchuk injury.
- Jakub Silfverberg & Guillaume Latendresse (OTT) Silfverberg has recorded four goals and two assists while averaging 16:55 in his last six games. With the injuries upfront in Ottawa, Silfverberg gets a chance to produce every night. Latendresse has four goals and two assists in seven games since returning from injury. (3 games next week)
- Pierre-Marc Bouchard (MIN) was a healthy scratch for three straight games. Since returning to the lineup he has posted one goal and six assists in just five games. (4 games next week)
- Martin Erat (NSH) hasn’t been able to score a lot this year (just four goals) however he leads the Predators in assists and has one goal and four assists in his last two games. (3 games next week)
- Ray Whitney (DAL) he is owned in 83.7% of ESPN leagues so he might not be available in your league but if he is he would be worth a pickup. He has three goals and three assists in his last six games. (3 games next week)
Latest posts by Brock Seguin (see all)
- 2019 NHL Playoffs – Eastern Conference Finals Preview - May 9, 2019
- Daily Fantasy Hockey Notebook 📒 — 05/06/19 - May 6, 2019
- Daily Fantasy Hockey Notebook 📕 — 05/03/19 - May 3, 2019