Sabres’ Jiri Kulich says he had procedure to remove blood clot

Buffalo Sabres forward Jiri Kulich confirmed Tuesday that he underwent a procedure to remove a blood clot that sidelined him for all but 12 games in the 2025-26 season.
Speaking at the Sabres’ end-of-year media availabilities, Kulich confirmed that doctors in Minnesota removed his blood clot two months ago and has since resumed skating in anticipation of being able to return to playing hockey.
The 22-year-old forward collected three goals and five points in 12 games before being shut down for the rest of the season in early November. The Sabres originally selected Kulich in the first round (No. 28 overall) of the 2022 NHL Draft.
Jiri Kulich hadn’t played since November, and said he underwent a procedure to remove a blood clot two months ago in Minnesota. “I’ll be able to play hockey again.” #sabres
Buffalo’s season came to an end on Monday night with a 3-2 overtime loss to the Montreal Canadiens in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. Kulich had already been ruled out for the rest of the 2025-26 season but remained around the team during their playoff run.
The Sabres drafted Kulich with the pick they acquired from the Florida Panthers in exchange for forward Sam Reinhart. The 6’1″ forward came over to North America from the Czech league immediately after being drafted and scored 24 goals and 46 points in 62 games with the AHL’s Rochester Americans as an 18-year-old in 2022-23.
Kulich established himself as an NHL regular with the Sabres in the 2024-25 season, recording 15 goals and 24 points in 62 games with the club. He remains on his entry-level deal with the Sabres, which runs through 2026-27 and carries an $886,666 NHL cap hit.
Through 75 career NHL games over parts of three seasons with the Sabres, Kulich has collected 18 goals, 29 points, and 22 penalty minutes to go along with a minus-9 rating. The Kadan, Czechia product has yet to make his Stanley Cup Playoff debut.